Thursday, January 22, 2009

Aloha!

I hope you're all doing great..It's raining in Hilo a bit this morning. It's the first time I have seen any rain here. I apologize for my delay in writing..I've just been soaking it all in...
I made it!! Berkley did great, and adapted to Hawaii in about a minute, it seems. The travels to Covina/LA went well. The Pruis took off from port yesterday, and should be here in 2-3 weeks. Berkley and I did have a nice evening in the hotel in LA, then a whirlwind trip through the airport, but it went super smoothly...Berkley checked in easily, with an unbelievably helpful air cabby, or whatever they are called. I owe it to Walshman for the really great plan of action. Thanks! We flew, we arrived. I sweat, as did Berkley, for a good 3 days. We reunited with John and we're all still revelling in it. So nice to be around my best friend and partner in crime again. :) Hilo is amazing. So quirky and different and local. There is hardly any tourism at all, and mostly just people living. This side of the island is interesting...(not that I know any other side)..there's not really any beaches. The island is young. Here, there is new lava rock going right up to the ocean. So, there are county parks with man made lava boulder-created coves, sandy bottom...the sea crashes over the break and spits foam and water 30' in the air. We forgot our camera, or there would be a picture (instead of words) right here. The water is warm, and regardless of the lack of true beach, it is tropical and amazing. We have a view of Hilo Bay from the house. And..oh, the houses...the architecture is absolutely lovely. The houses are all small to medium size plantation style homes....think corrogated tin roofs with alcove-like porches, stone steps, which are covered in moss and flowers, leading up to the front door. It's truly beautiful. And this house, our house, is a 70 year old plantation style home. It has plenty windows and doors everywhere. Hardwood floors and old door knobs with skeleton keys. It's big, beautiful and dreamy..John really rolled the dog in the rug with this find.
So, I've been getting accustomed, or as much as one can in 9 days. The Farmers Market is more amazing than I expected, with so many tropical fruits and lots of vegetables and crafts and flowers...It's bustling and busy and is full of great deals on delicious things! Speaking of delicious things, I'm hungry now and going to close.
Lots of love to you. ~Aloha

No comments: