Saturday, January 24, 2009

Saturday, Jan. 24

Hi there. Howzit? Doing good here. Jess and I had a great day today. We got up fairly early and headed to Hapuna Beach, which is about 65 miles from Hilo. As we found out today, it was worth the drive. Hapuna is a half-mile long white sand beached on the Kohola Coast of the Big Island. The weather was good, about 80 degrees with a slight breeze from time-to-time. As luck would have it, I forgot the boogie boards today and the waves were about 2-4 feet -- perfect for riding. We spent the entire morning and some of the afternoon soaking up the sun and enjoying the warm ocean water. It was one of those days here where you just kind of look around in awe of everything, hardly believing that you actually live in this place. When I came to Hawai'i as a visitor, I always wondered what it would actually feel like to live here. Sometimes, it's a pretty overwhelming feeling. Most days it's hard to wipe the smile off my face. As I've said before, it's entirely possible to have a bad day here, but when things are going well as they normally do, it's almost an unreal feeling to be here. Alright, enough Hawai'i gushing from me. After we left Hapuna, we headed back to Hilo and went to the bastard version of Costco called "Cost You Less." It's a poor attempt at a Costco copycat and has the feeling of shopping in a garage. Sure, you can get 12 gallons of mayonnaise for $8, but I think I'll save my bulk shopping for when we're on Kona side. We did snag Berkley a new dog bed, which he seems to appreciate. Just finished up eating dinner and reading the newspaper. We were contemplating a trip to the Emerald Orchid, the local bar in Hilo, but we're both pretty wiped out and I think we'll opt for drinks on the front porch and call it an early night. We're going to get up early tomorrow and go work out at the gym and then do a bit of grocery shopping. Hope everyone is doing well. Aloha.

No comments: