Thursday, December 18, 2008

Thursday, Dec. 18

I was hoping to spend my last few days on Kauai on the beach, but the weather is not cooperating. It's not raining anymore, but is overcast and the water is dirty. So, I've been doing other things. I got up at 5 a.m. this morning and went and did my laundry. I alway seem to have a really bizarre experience every time I go to that place. First of all, the place was packed, I was lucky to get a washing machine. Second of all, the laundromat is pretty run-down and has a third-world charm to it. Lastly, I was the only white person at the place. Before anyone starts calling me a racist, hold on and see where I'm going with this... Never before in my life have I lived in a situation where white-skinned folks are the minority. I've always been part of the majority. It brings about some strange feelings when people stare at you or are completely rude for no apparent reason. Mainly, I just felt uncomfortable and grew tired of the dirty looks. I don't hold any grudges and have met plenty of great local people here. In fact, most people here on Kauai are good people. There's assholes and racist idiots everywhere. I've just never been a minority before. Thinking back on the situation, I'm glad I had the experience, it gives me a deeper perspective on things. After the laundry, I went and worked out and then hit the grocery store for a few things to hold me over until Sunday morning. I've spent the rest of the day cleaning 20-year old kegs. We purchased them years ago from the now defunct Ali'i Brewing Company, which was based on Oahu. Back in the day, Ali'i was the first and only microbrewery on the Hawaiian islands. They were pioneers of craft beer over here. Cleaning these kegs is a tedious and lengthy process. Residue from 20-year-old beer doesn't come off easily. While I doing this, I started thinking about how I was cleaning out the past and making way for the future of Hawaiian brewing. It's good to know that these kegs, for as long as they are in circulation, will have only been filled with Hawaiian-made beer. I think I'm going to take it easy tonight. Hope all is well with everyone. Aloha.

No comments: