Monday, November 3, 2008

John arrives in Kauai

Hey everyone... Well, I am here. I arrived in Kauai on Oct. 30 in the afternoon. I spent four days in a resort in Kapaa before I started work on Sunday. It's been pretty crazy, to say the least. Getting off the plane in Lihue and knowing that this was now my home was almost impossible to comprehend. From the airplane window, I saw the ocean and the palm trees. I remembered all the times Jess and I visited and how exciting it was to be there. This time the feeling was different. I was sitting alone on the plane. The couple across the row from me had just arrived to get married on Kauai and of course that made me think of Jess and really miss her. At the same time, it also made me excited to start our lives here. Holy shit, we're going to live in Hawaii. So, I took a cab to the resort and got checked in. After hitting the fitness room to burn off the craziness of day, I planted myself at the hotel lounge and had some drinks. For the next few days, I hung out in Lihue and Kapaa enjoying the sunshine and the warm ocean waters. I started my job on Sunday and they wasted no time putting me to work. On Sunday, i met Dave Campbell, who is my headbrewer. Dave is essentially the "Godfather" of Hawaiian brewing, having more than a decade experience in the business. He's a great guy who I know I'll learn a lot from. We double brewed batches (16 hour days) of Keoki Sunset Ale and the Keoki Gold. So in two days, I worked a lot of hours and got some great exposure to the system here. I dropped Dave off at the Airport today, as he lives on Oahu with his family. He flys in every week and brews several batches of beer. Now, I am at the brewery and will be staying in an RV until I can find a place to live. You'll find a video here....and I will post more soon. I hope everyone is doing well. Keep your eyes open for posts from Jess in Sedona. Aloha.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

man john, i love that you have this up here. i shall henceforth add this to my daily blog check. i'm happy you've arrived safe and sound and be careful if you hitchhike with the locals.

i had some scary experiences.

in any event, brew some great beer and keep the posts up so i can stay up to date as if i lose this election i might need to move to the islands myself.

Sacred Fire said...

AWESOME!!!

Say "Hello" to Mother Ocean for me mate!!

One Love~

Siva