Friday, November 7, 2008

Friday, Nov. 7

Anyone who has visited Kaua'i has noticed the huge amount of feral roosters and chickens on the island. You literally see them everywhere. Most people suggest that the feral chicken population can be traced back to when Hurricane Iniki hit Kauai in 1992. It’s been reported that the hurricane destroyed a number of chicken farms. There are other possible theories -- such as sugarcane plantation laborers in the late 1800s and early 1900s brought and raised chickens (for eating and cockfighting) and many got loose over the years and multiplied. So, in the end, who really knows? I watched a rooster trying to impress a female the other day and it was hilarious. I almost felt bad laughing at him. This guy was trying really hard. Unfortunately, he struck out... That female chicken was smart, that Rooster looked like a real player. Check out the clip at the bottom left to see some chickens that were running around the parking lot earlier today. By now, you're probably wondering who that scruffy looking cat in the upper right hand corner is. Well, let me introduce you to Keoki, the brewery cat. She's been with the brewery since it opened and is quite a character. She likes to wrap her legs around your ankle when you walk by and also enjoys a good play bite now and again. Seeing as I'm here all the time, i have assumed the cat care duties. Had a decent day today. Didn't get everything done that I wanted to in terms of work. Apparently, things move slower here and I am adapting to that. So when you need something, like a refill on your Co2 tank....you call days in advance. This place has really taught me that if I want to live here and survive, I have to slow down a bit. Things are different here and the locals and native Hawaiians want it that way. Other than carbonating beer and giving a tour, I worked out at the YMCA, hit Kalapaki Beach for some waves and did some some shopping. I had some Little Caesar's for dinner. Can you Michigan folks believe there's a Little Caesar's here?? Pizza Pizza. Alright, I am gonna cut it off here. More tomorrow. Aloha.

No comments: