Thursday, November 6, 2008

Thursday, Nov. 6

Pictured to the right is one of seven fermentation vessels at the brewery. As you can see, each one holds 930 gallons of beer. That's about 67 Kegs(15.5 gallon half barrels). We filtered a beer out of this tank yesterday, so I cleaned it today. The cleaning process takes almost an hour and a half. You've gotta figure, this thing holds beer that people are going to ingest, so it has to be incredibly clean. It felt good to do something that I had already done hundreds of times before. The location might be different, but the tanks, pumps and hoses are all the same. After I got the tank cleaned, I hooked up with Curtis, the Keoki Brewing Company Cellarman, and we took care of some odds and ends and ran a few errands. The thing about being a brewer is that there are some days where you don't even touch or make beer. Today was one of those days. Some brewers would call me crazy, but I enjoy every aspect of the job. We broke down and pulled apart a pump, ordered a new seal kit, did a ton of cleaning and got things ready for a big day of kegging tomorrow. After wrapping up work, I figured it was time to finally hit the beach. I haven't been to the beach since last week, so I figured I was due. I went to Kalapaki Beach in Lihue/Nawilliwilli. It's a beach most frequented by locals and tourists who stay at the Kauai Marriot. I found myself a nice spot in the sand and kicked back. The water was warm, probably about 80 degrees, with small waves. As you can see, I had a nice view (I'm talking about the water and the mountains, not the old guy in the foreground of the picture). After a nice swim and some sun, I did some laundry in Lihue. I really miss my washing machine and that sweet wife of mine who always took the extra time to separate the colors and darks. Obviously, I miss her for many more important and meaningful reasons, but I really suck at doing laundry. Dump it all in -- That was my approach. On a different and more important closing note, I just want to say that I am very excited for my brother and Elissa who found out today that they will be having a Keiki Kane (Baby Boy) in March. Congratulations you guys, I couldn't be more excited to be an uncle. You guys are going to make great parents. Well, I think it's time for me to sign off. Tomorrow, I plan to introduce you to Keoki, that is if I can get a picture or video of her. Aloha.

No comments: