Monday, November 10, 2008

Monday, Nov. 10

What a day. For some reason, I woke up at about 2:30 a.m. and couldn't fall back asleep. So, when you live three steps away from work, it only seems natural to get up and start working. That's exactly what I did. I knew I had a big day of kegging ahead of me, so I started washing kegs from about 2:30 a.m to about 5 a.m. and then headed off to the YMCA to work out. I got back to the brewery around 7 a.m. and starting cleaning more kegs. I had to keg out 1,000 gallons today, which is the equivalent to two full days of brewing. I filled 80 5.2 gallon kegs and about 32 15.5 gallon kegs. After that, I cleaned the keg machine and immediately started to clean an fermenter and break down the tank that I was kegging out of. I finally ended my work day about 6:30 p.m. I should have an easier day tomorrow, and will spend a good deal of time prepping for two double brew days later this week. I am hoping to squeeze in some time at the beach tomorrow. The waves are supposed to be pretty nice. During all the craziness at work today, i also learned how to drive a fork lift. By the end of the day, I was moving 2,000 lbs of kegs around with limited disaster potential. I've learned the basics and in some cases the very advanced parts of brewery work, but learning how to drive the fork lift is one of the final pieces of the puzzle. It's kind of fun, but it's also a bit intimidating when you have several thousands of dollars of beer suspended on two metal forks. In the end, I got everything done and will hopefully sleep like a baby tonight. If not, I guess there's always some work that could be done. I'm starting to feel at home in the brewery here, which good. I was hoping it wouldn't take too long. I also got word today that I might be over in Hilo as soon as the middle of January. More tomorrow. Aloha.

No comments: